Monday, February 3, 2014

"Quaint Kitten"

I’m pretty excited about this one. After my rough lesson with my last kitty, I was actually surprised I wanted to try again! But with my last one, I got a lot of constructive critique, so I thought since I was already in the “mood”, I’d go ahead and try another.

I had recently read from a fellow artist that he spent more time looking at the reference picture than actually drawing it, so all afternoon I had the picture up on my computer. As I walked by, I would draw some lines to show proportions, outline shading areas, or highlight the lighting.

When I actually sat down to paint, I first sketched a measured, detailed sketch. Wow, it’s amazing how much easier something is when you take the time to prep correctly! The finished product you’ll see in a second. First, I want to share the lesson that God taught me through it.

As I was admiring the most recent painting of the kitten that I did, God showed me a very neat lesson. I had done two previous “real life” paintings, and both were of cats, so the lesson He showed me applied to all three.

This painting (I had actually forgotten about) was done two-and-a-half years ago, and as you can see, it needs quite a bit of work. I conjured this off the top of my head.


The Lord showed me how much this is like the people who know what a Christian should look like, but aren’t interested in pursuing a relationship with Christ. To others around them, they may have a semblance of Christianity, but are far from looking like the real thing.

This second painting (you may recognize) was done in December. I had a sketch that I was basing this painting off of, so aside from slightly off colorings and proportions, this looks much more like a cat. You can certainly tell it’s a snow leopard cub, and it’s eyes actually draw you in.


In this painting the Lord showed me how it was like people who go to church regularly, walk the walk, and talk the talk. Anyone looking at them can definitely tell they’re “Christian”, but there still are some things that are “off” in their lives.

This painting was done from an actual photograph, the “real thing” as far as references go. I studied the real picture for a long time before I even picked up my pastels to paint. After it was finished, I sat back and looked at it, and said “Wow, Praise the Lord!!!”


God showed me how this was like His children who focus on Him and study His Word. They reflect His image MUCH more, and people can always, always see a difference when they walk in the room.

With each painting, God allows me to get one step closer to reality, but He also is showing me that it isn’t enough to do what “I know is right”, or even to act “like they tell me at Church”, but to dig down and study hard the Real Thing, God Himself and His precious Word, and cultivate that amazingly rich relationship with Him!


Praise God for creating us in His likeness and for making it possible for us to reflect His righteousness and holiness!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33

2 comments:

  1. Wow -- praise the Lord for such an applicable illustration! :) Very true . . .
    ~Amanda

    "He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good, and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he." Proverbs 16:17

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!
    That is so true! Thank you so much for the real life application.
    It is a blessing and a challenge to look for the life lesson applications in everyday situations,I struggle with that area particularly.

    And, it was a beautiful painting, I'm not a big cat fan, but that little kitty....was precious! : )

    "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord;in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up." Psalm 5:3

    ReplyDelete