Saturday, January 18, 2014

Doubting Thomas, or Caring Christ?

“And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”     John 20:28-29

As I was reading the passage about “Doubting Thomas”, I began to realize that this passage was not only a picture of one who doubts, but also an amazing picture of One who loves and cares for us personally.

To me, Thomas doesn’t really seem like a doubter, but one who wants to know and be sure of things. Because of this trait, he often doesn’t see the obvious, but wants to be told plainly or shown. That was the way he learned.

“Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?”   John 14:5

I saw this in Thomas, because I learn the same way. Too many times I am looking for a direct answer or instruction, and fail to see the obvious answer in front of me!

Jesus knew this about Thomas, and he also knew that Thomas would not be there when He appeared to the disciples the first time. So why did He not wait until all the disciples were there?

I believe it was to show just how far Jesus will go to show that He cares for us individually. He knows each and every one of us, and He knows exactly what we need in order to believe, trust Him, or just step out in faith. His coming back specifically to show Thomas that He had indeed risen, showed just how much He loved Thomas, and wanted Him to be able to go forward without any doubts or reservations.

Jesus may not always give us all the answers, but He will ALWAYS provide everything we need to walk with Him. What an amazing love and care He has for every individual one of us!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know that you already shared this with me in person, but it was also nice to read. I love the "little" lessons God brings out to us from His Word!!! Keep sharing!
    ~Amanda

    "In Thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be put to confusion." Psalm 71:2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and very interesting observation. I find it "funny" , " coincidental",... or maybe the working of God, but this was something that Cody and Dad had just discussed around out supper table last week. They were talking about how so many times Thomas is called "Doubting Thomas", but the deal is he hadn't expressed anything the other apostles didn't express when they first heard Jesus had risen from the dead, maybe not in the exact words, but basically the same attitude. Also Cody pointed out, before Jesus died at the event of Lazarus' death when the apostles were expecting Him to be arrested by the Jews if He went to Bethany, "Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him." John 11:16 Great stuff!! I am so enjoying your blog and will try to comment along (the only problem is I normally take a few minutes to read blogs here and there and then the comments I want to make on both yours and Amanda's blogs end up being more detailed than I have time for as you can see above, but anywho, I really will try).

    ReplyDelete