Monday, January 13, 2014

"Thy Waves and Thy Billows"

After having worked on a couple pictures out of my comfort zone, I felt a little more "comfortable" trying another. 

I have always been fascinated by skies and water, and there is nothing that I have wanted to be able to paint more than those. I guess because I wanted to be able to paint them so much, I never have! I guess it was fear, fear that I would fail miserably and not be able to paint the two things I loved to look at the most! Well, I was very grateful that God gave me boldness to finally bite down and try a water scene.

Granted, there is a lot wrong with this picture, but overall I was pleased with the outcome of my first water painting. I guess it helped me to realize, "yes, my skills need work, but it IS possible, and Lord willing, I WILL be able to do beautiful water paintings one day!"

"Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." (Psalm 42:7-8)

When I saw this painting develop under my hand, I couldn't help but think about how hard it seemed to me to begin with, and how it got a little easier as I saw more and more how it would turn out.

How much like that my life was. There are times when I feel so overwhelmed, I think that I'm drowning in the sea of trials, discouragements, and unknown futures God lays before me. YET. What a wonderful word! Yet-God is still who He was yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before. His love, peace, and joy are continually with me, if I will only look up and remember them.

There have been several times lately where I am amazed (though I shouldn't be) at how when I am felling overwhelmed, I just make up my mind to stop looking at the storm and focus on God instead, He takes me up and gives me a "song in the night".

No matter how great the storm, God is always with me, and always in control. As soon as I look to Him, His lovingkindness will prevail in my life.

How I thank God for the song He gives through the "waves and billows" of my life!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    WOW!! That is amazing!! I LOVE your painting.
    And I suppose its a good thing you told me there were mistakes because I dont see them. : )
    Your posts are a blessing!
    Thank for the encouraging words always.
    Have a wonderful week.
    "She openeth her mouth with wisdom and in her tongue is the law of kindness." Proverbs 31:26

    ReplyDelete